[Beowulf] experience with HPC running on OpenStack

Matt Wallis mattw at madmonks.org
Tue Jun 30 05:19:18 PDT 2020

Hi Jörg

> On 30 Jun 2020, at 10:09 am, Jörg Saßmannshausen <sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> we are currently planning a new cluster and this time around the idea was to
> use OpenStack for the HPC part of the cluster as well.
>
> I was wondering if somebody has some first hand experiences on the list here.
> One of the things we currently are not so sure about it is InfiniBand (or
> another low latency network connection but not ethernet): Can you run HPC jobs
> on OpenStack which require more than the number of cores within a box? I am
> thinking of programs like CP2K, GROMACS, NWChem (if that sounds familiar to
> you) which utilise these kind of networks very well.

You might want to look at https://www.stackhpc.com/ <https://www.stackhpc.com/> I believe they are relatively far along in their capabilities.

Personally I’m not a fan, HPC is challenging enough without adding large amounts of unnecessary complexity.
For me the infrastructure management should be as simple and stable as possible, allowing administrators and developers to spend their time helping users get the most out of using the cluster.
From what I’ve seen, adding OpenStack is the exact opposite of that.

Matt.