[Beowulf] experience with HPC running on OpenStack

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Mon Jun 29 17:09:05 PDT 2020

Dear all,

we are currently planning a new cluster and this time around the idea was to
use OpenStack for the HPC part of the cluster as well.

I was wondering if somebody has some first hand experiences on the list here.
One of the things we currently are not so sure about it is InfiniBand (or
another low latency network connection but not ethernet): Can you run HPC jobs
on OpenStack which require more than the number of cores within a box? I am
thinking of programs like CP2K, GROMACS, NWChem (if that sounds familiar to
you) which utilise these kind of networks very well.

I cam across things like MagicCastle from Computing Canada but as far as I
understand it, they are not using it for production (yet).

Is anybody on here familiar with this?

All the best from London

Jörg