[Beowulf] First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Nicholas M. Glykos glykos at mbg.duth.gr
Fri Feb 7 12:31:01 PST 2020

> Many journals have "suggested page charges" of several hundred $/page.
> However, virtually all of the reputable ones will waive the page charge
> if you ask, that's how I published when I was in high school.  The
> "vanity press" will not, since that's how they make their money.

Excellent point. Offering of waivers is a strong indication that the journal
is not predatory, but even that is slowly becoming more blurred as time goes
by. For example, it is significantly more difficult these days (compared to
10 years ago) to get a full waiver even from journals as respectable as the
PLOS journals. The impact/h factor discussed previously is also a valid and
strong criterion, but again, there are relatively aggressive open-access
publishing companies in the market which nevertheless have journals with
impact factors in the 3-4-5 range (mdpi is an example). So, fuzziness all
around. Life.

--

            Nicholas M. Glykos, Department of Molecular Biology
     and Genetics, Democritus University of Thrace, University Campus,