[Beowulf] [External] Re: First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Fri Feb 7 12:05:38 PST 2020

Charges depend alot with field. People in medical fields generally pay $2,000 per paper for open access, with their research grants supporting this - the idea being that medical information is useful and it is cheaper for the funding body to make their research widely available, than for libraries and medical professionals to purchase the articles. In many other fields this is much less common.

Supercomputing Frontiers and Innovations is open access and has no page charges. Conference papers are typically not open access, ISC has become a recent exception. Open access options are publisher specific, Springer can allow open access for a fee, ACM does allow free open access through a dedicated "authorizer link" and regular open access for a fee, IEEE conferences give no open access options (in particular affects SC) , though IEEE journals do have a fee for open access. For computational chemistry, not sure what the situation is with open access. To ensure wide dissemination, may people put their publications on arXiv, other pre-print/post-print servers or their homepage.

Many learned societies obtain a large fraction of their operating income from journal subscriptions. Due to automation, publication costs have declined significantly, but  the cost of journals have not matched this. Unfortunately, it is hard to change established income patterns.

Further reading includes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cost_of_Knowledge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub