[Beowulf] First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Jonathan Douglas Engwall engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 16:14:00 PST 2020

At least get a 4U, 4 CPU rack machine and don't even think of any GPU older than 2016. Better yet, look toward a DELL T440, they sell off when the warranty starts to go, practically new, at prices that will shock you; if you have paid for a laptop or phone recently.
Industrial cast-offs are the way to go. You can try whatever you like that way, because you are running solid equipment.
You can't protect yourself when a developer dumps support for this or that when everything you use is older, edge-case, or your own handiwork, professional it may be.

Jonathan Engwall