[Beowulf] First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 10:08:47 PST 2020

On 2/1/20 10:21 PM, Mark Kosmowski wrote:

> Should I consider Solaris or illumos?

No.

I've tried to use modern tooling on Illumos (OpenSolaris fork) in the
form of SmartOS, and it just isn't supported in most build
environments.  Solaris is dead.  The level of effort to build basic
tools is herculean.  There are some packages in various package
managers, but as noted, you will find almost no community support for
these, and updates, if any, will be spotty at best.

The *BSDs have similar issues, albeit with a slightly larger user base
than Illumos/SmartOS.  Porting to them has been (for me anyway) a
maddening affair.

These systems are highly opinionated, and their opinions don't align
with current software tooling.  Which means you spend significant
amounts of time chasing idiosyncrasies versus getting real work done.

It definitely is heart breaking, but sometimes you have to let some
platforms go.

> I do plan on using ZFS, especially for the data node, but I want as
> much redundancy as I can get, since I'm going to be using used
> hardware.  Will the fancy Solaris cluster tools be useful?

No.  Remember that ZFS doesn't like to share RAM, so you'd have to work
fairly hard to contain its caching effort.  It can be done on Linux, but
generally, you want to be careful with system architecture if you are
going to combine storage/compute and leverage ZFS.