[Beowulf] First cluster in 20 years - questions about today

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Sun Feb 2 15:40:50 PST 2020

Hi Mark,

being a chemist and working in HPC for some years now, for a change I can make
some contribution to the list as well.

I would not advice to use hardware which is over 5 years old, unless somebody
else is footing the electricity bill. The new AMDs are much faster and also as
you have more cores per node, you can run larger simulations without having
InfiniBand interconnections. The next question would be which programs do you
want to use? ORCA? NWChem? Gamess-US? CP2K/Castep? They all have different
requirements and the list is by no means exhaustive. Do you just want to stick
to DFT calculations or wavefunction ones as well (like CASSCF, CASPT2)? The
bottom line is you want to have something which is efficient and tailored to the
program(s) you want to use.

Forget about Solaris. I don't know any code other than Gamess-US which is
supporting Solaris. Stick to Linux. From what you said I guess you want to use
code like CP2K which requires large memory. Again the latest AMD can address
really large memory so I would suggest to go for that, if you really want to
be productive. You might want to consider using NVMe as scratch/swap or even
OS drive and, if you want to use CP2K, make sure you got enough memory and
cores.
If you just want to toy around then by all means use old hardware but you will
have more frustration than fun.

For your information: I am a 'gentleman' scientist, i.e. I do my research,
chemistry in my case, like most respectable scientist in the evening or
weekend and I still got a daytime job to attend to. By enlarge I get one
publication out per year in highly cited journals. Right now, as until
recently I had some clusters at my disposal, I got an old 8 core box with 42
GB or RAM which I am planning to replace this year with an AMD one for reasons
already mentioned on the list. I wanted to do that last year but for one
reason or another that did not work out. My desktop is a Intel(R) Core(TM)
i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz machine which also does calculations and post-
processing. My bottle neck right now is the time I need to write up stuff,
another reason why I am still using the old server. At least it is heating my
dining room. :-)

Let me know if you got any more questions, happy to help out a colleague!

All the best

Jörg