[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** HPCG

Richard Walsh rbwcnslt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:28:24 PDT 2020

Prentice wrote:

> When I compare my HPL results to my HPCG results, I'm getting HPCG
> results that are 0.3 - 0.5% of HPL. On the HPCG Top500 list, most
> systems are getting 2-3% of HPL, so I'm off by an order of magnitude.

Of course HPCG is a bandwidth limited application so it will never come
close to HPL.  It is likely that you are seeing the effect of running the
stock
3.1 release and comparing that to optimized releases from Intel and
elsewhere
that are much faster, and faster still if they are most running on the GPU.

You can get better CPU performance using Intel optimized version distributed
with the cirompiler, or grabbing NVIDIA's version for the GPU.   I know
that a
fully optimized version of the code runs about 50% faster than the
stock 3.1
version no matter how you compile it.  You should also look at not running
fully packed and play with the rank to thread ratio.  The idea is to get as
close
to theoretical bandwidth from the node as possible and this may mean running
unpacked.

Cheers!

rbw