[Beowulf] [External] 40kw racks?

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:33:15 PDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 1:18 PM Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf
<beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

> I've never gone up to 40 KW exactly, but I've configured racks with dual
> PDUs that took 3-phase, 60 AMP service and used IEC 60309 connectors. In
> this arrangement, each PDU can deliver 17.4 KW (might be KVA, actually),
> for just about 35 KW in a single rack.  I used APC PDUs, but I can't
> remember the exact model. It was either the AP8867 or the AP8866. To get
> to 40 KW, you'd need to add a 3rd PDU or go

Yeah, we've done that before as well.  the GPU chassis we're looking
at burn at ~3kw each, so i may well be into a fourth PDU at that
point.  i was hoping i could find something with less heft and bulk
then the standard apc ones, given that we're only going to use like 10
plugs on each one.  i'm also looking at maybe switching up to
hardwired 415v WYE configurations.

> It's my understanding that water-cooled rear door heat exchangers max
> out at about 35 KW of cooling, so you might want to talk to the
> different RDHx  manufacturers to verify their limits before getting too
> far into your design, if you haven't done so already. Coolcentric claims
> their ultra-density doors can handle up to 40 KW.

its unclear to me at the moment, i've got some racks running motivair
doors at ~30kw and they seem to be fine.  according to motivair the
physical limit for the door is something like 45kw.  this is a whole
nothing side of the project, i need to see if i can even turn it on
first :)