[Beowulf] Slow RAID reads, no errors logged, why?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:02:20 PDT 2018

On 21-Mar-2018 19:11, Jonathan Engwall wrote:
> I am curious about such things.
> The DELL specs show the 710 can handle 32 devices, while the 730 can
> handle
> 255! The
> pdf spec sheet also says the h730 has "workload profiles." If you are
> nowhere near 255 disks perhaps you can change the controller?

The box only has 8 drive slots, so there really isn't much difference
between 8 and 255
in practical terms.  Well, maybe if there is some way to attach external
storage.  The spec for both the 710 and 730 say the controller has "8
internal ports", which for all I know map 1:1 with those slots.

My best guess is that the problem is in the disk firmware, so changing
the controller most likely would not help with the SMART issue.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu