[Beowulf] Clearing out scratch space

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:21:04 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 10:06:06AM +0200, John Hearns via Beowulf wrote:
> What do most sites do for scratch space?

We give users access to local disk space on nodes (spinning disk for older
nodes, SSD for newer nodes), which (for the most part) GE will address with
the $TMPDIR job environment variable. We have a "ssd" boolean complex that
users can place in their job to request SSD nodes if they know they will
benefit from them.

We also have labs that use non-backed up portions of their network storage
(Isilon for the older storage, DDN/GPFS for the newer) for scratch space
for processing of pipeline data, where different stages of the pipeline run
on different nodes.

--
Skylar