[Beowulf] Clearing out scratch space

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Jun 12 02:52:07 PDT 2018

On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 6:06:06 PM AEST John Hearns via Beowulf wrote:

> What do most sites do for scratch space?

At ${JOB-1} we used GPFS and so for the scratch filesystem we used the GPFS
policy engine to identify and remove files that had not been read/written for
more than the defined number of days (twice the length of time of our longest
permitted job, so 2 x 30 days).

With the policy engine you can parallelise that across NSD servers too (we had
separate metadata and data NSD servers, so identifying the files was just
parallelised across the former which accessed the same shared SSD array).

Our compute nodes were diskless too so for jobs we used a plugin which created
per-job directories under scratch and then the epilog would clean them up.

cheers!
Chris