[Beowulf] [upgrade strategy] Intel CPU design bug & security flaw - kernel fix imposes performance penalty

Richard Walsh rbwcnslt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 14:18:51 PST 2018

All,

Mmm ... maybe I am missing something, but for an HPC cluster-specific solution ... how about skipping the fixes, and simply requiring all compute node jobs to run in exclusive mode and then zero-ing out user memory between jobs ... ??

Individual job performance would be preserved, while there would be “only” a system throughput performance degradation.  Is it clear that this is measurably worse ... ??

Richard Walsh
Thrashing River Computing

Sent from my iPhone