[Beowulf] [upgrade strategy] Intel CPU design bug & security flaw - kernel fix imposes performance penalty

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sun Jan 7 13:29:39 PST 2018

On 07/01/18 23:22, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:

> the first court cases against Intel have been filed:

These would have to be Meldown related then, given that Spectre is so
widely applicable.

Greg K-H has a useful post up about the state of play with the various
Linux kernel patches for mainline and stable kernels here:

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/

He also mentioned about the Meltdown patches for ARM64:

# Right now the ARM64 set of patches for the Meltdown issue are not
# merged into Linus’s tree. They are staged and ready to be merged into
# 4.16-rc1 once 4.15 is released in a few weeks. Because these patches
# are not in a released kernel from Linus yet, I can not backport them
# into the stable kernel releases (hey, we have rules for a reason...)
#
# Due to them not being in a released kernel, if you rely on ARM64 for
# your systems (i.e. Android), I point you at the Android Common Kernel
# tree All of the ARM64 fixes have been merged into the 3.18, 4.4, and
# 4.9 branches as of this point in time.

All the best,
Chris