[Beowulf] What is rdma, ofed, verbs, psm etc?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Thu Sep 21 08:28:12 PDT 2017

> What about RoCE? Is this something that is commonly used (I would guess
> no since I have not found much)? Are there other protocols that are
> worth considering (like "gamma" which doesn't seem to be developed
> anymore)?

Gamma has not been around for years. There was open-mx

  http://open-mx.gforge.inria.fr/

But, the project stopped in 2012.

I think the main reason it stopped was that IB is the
choice of most clusters and most 10G nics provide
low latency with default tcp/ip (less than 10us in most cases).

--
Doug

> My impression is that with RoCE you have to use specialized hardware
> (unlike gamma - where one could use standard hardware, and still get a
> noticeable improvement in latency)?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> /jon
>
> On 09/21/2017 04:09 AM, Christopher Samuel wrote:
>>> Thanks Peter for the high level overview! A few followup questions.
>>> What
>>> if I am using a non-Infiniband cluster, i.e something with 10gigE.  Or
>>> even slower like at my home I have a raspbery pi cluster with 100 Mbps
>>> ethernet. Is ofed/psm/verbs all irrelevant?
>> Pretty much, yes, unless you've got fancy switches that can do RoCE.
>>

> --
> MailScanner: Clean

Doug

--