[Beowulf] Timeout on eth0 when booting disk less

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 13 13:15:15 PDT 2017

On 12-Mar-2017 12:00, Jon Tegner <tegner at renget.se> wrote
> This could possibly be a problem with the switch, but one remedy would
> seem to be to extend the time before the timeout kicks in (it seems to
> be a few seconds at the moment). Any hints on how to achieve this?

That would depend on what you are booting.  I suggest you ask in the
forum for the particular OS variant you are using.  (Or at least tell us
what it is!)

Have a look at this

   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto

especially the "gotchas" section and see if anything applies.  My best
guess is that the NFS mount is taking too long to complete.  It doesn't
sound like a switch issue if there is no problem with the PXE or tftp
parts.

Are you booting a bunch of nodes at once or one at a time, staggered?
All at once could bog down the head node so much that some compute nodes
time out.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu