[Beowulf] cold spare storage?

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 17 10:43:33 PDT 2017

(Originally posted here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45719853/enterprise-spare-drives-better-on-shelf-or-spun-down-in-enclosure

but nobody has answered.)

Hi all,

Some Dell servers I recently started managing have spare disks in their
array enclosures. megacli showed the spares as:

Firmware state: Online, Spun Up

so they are not configured as hot spares. Effectively these are cold
spares, but ones whose working lifetime is being wasted spinning for no
good reason. They have now been spun down with:

megacli -PDPrpRmv -PhysDrv[32:5] -a0

which is better for their longevity, I suppose.

The question is: would these spares last longer if they were pulled and
stored in an antistatic bag in a drawer? Even though they are no longer
spinning they are still in a warm environment and receiving the
vibrations from the other disks and fans in these servers. I only found
some articles about storing drives with data on them, but that isn't the
case here, they are blank. Has anybody published actual data on this
issue (as opposed to just their opinion)?

Thanks.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu