[Beowulf] How to know if infiniband network works?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 3 07:33:28 PDT 2017

Fazar,
I think that you have got things sorted out.
However I think that the number of optiosn in OpenMPI is starting to
confuse you.  But do not lose heart!
I have been in the same place myself many time.  Specifically I am thinking
on one time when a customer asked me to benthmark the latency across 10Gbps
interfaces,
on a cluster where there was already a 1Gbps network and a Mellanox
Infiniband network. I had to be careful to exclude the networks I did NOT
want!

I suggest that you set the verbose flag in mpirun and keep a copy of the
output. GO through that output line by line making sure you understand what
it is telling you.
I have done that many times!

Secondly you say " I also tried changing the environment variable: export
OMPI_MCA_btl=tcp,self,sm "  - remember that you can switch OFF a transport
by using ^tcp
Please give that a try - ie I mean epxlicitly request openmpi transport and
^tcp