[Beowulf] Generation of strings MPI fashion..

Darren Wise darren at wisecorp.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 10:19:13 PDT 2016

Heya folks,
This may seem really simple to some and it is fairly simple from the terminal using bash of generation and sorting (examples below)
What I would like to do, to get started with making a program to run in MPI on my cluster.. I thought of a fairly simple bash script and this works fine for a single machine but what is the best way to go around it or converting this simple notion in to an MPI runable command.
Generates random strings of chars:$ tr -cd '[upper:]' < /dev/random | fold -w9 | head -c${1:-1000} | tee somefile.txt
Removes duplicate lines:$ sort filename.txt | uniq
This is fine for generation as I mention for a single machine, but what's the best way to turn this around and use MPI with a shared NFS mounted filesystem..
While this is an example im going to generate a bash script to allow me to generate every possible permutation of a desired string length along with types of chars a-z, A-Z, 0-9 along with symbols..
So any advice is welcome really and it's just an educational way for me to transpire into generating code that can be used within my small beowulf.