[Beowulf] AMD cards with integrated SSD slots

Kilian Cavalotti kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:16:24 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
> The original quote of 2x was using a comparison against a GTX1080 -

I'm not the one who mentioned GP100, am I?

> Quote some numbers for that.

Sure: 8.88 TFLOPS FP32. FP64 and FP16 are pretty much inexistant
(something like 0.1-0.2 TFLOPS each), which is understandable given
the market it's aimed at (who needs anything else thatn FP32 in
gaming?)

So regarding FP32, we're not at 2.0x, granted, more 1.75x.

> The GP100 isn't really fair because mere mortals don't have access to
> it.. I'd like to see a show of hands for people outside of a tiny
> circle who do..

Sure, that's very true.

> AMD's s9300 is meant to compete against the Pascal class hardware, but
> they haven't released the single asic part yet. Lets see those
> numbers..

In March, AMD mentioned 13.9 TFLOPS FP32 for the S9300 x2, which would
surely be interesting if it comes to that. But only 0.8 TFLOPS FP64,
so that wouldn't make it a great alternative to the GP100 for HPC (not
talking MD or Deep-learning here, more traditional CFD-like things).
Especially if you consider that it's a dual-chip card.

Cheers,
--
Kilian