[Beowulf] AMD cards with integrated SSD slots

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:07:02 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:48 PM, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
> All joking aside - the best benchmark is your code. I know both
> hardware so intimately well that I could easily show codes which
> perform well on both sides. If you are looking to build a system and
> need specific advise; I'm happy to work with you offlist.
>
> My original point was that it's unfair to quote single precision
> numbers and say 2x when double precision or half precision performance
> is not a similar story.
>
> Architecturally there are also different - AMD dGPU may be more
> forgiving for codes which have higher register pressure and they
> implement a native IEEE 64bit fp div and NVIDIA cards may have an
> advantage in other categories.. it all depends.

having been a pre-sales engineer in a previous life, i certainly
understand (all too well).  i don't have anything specific in mind,
just poking the bears on the list...

but in all seriousness, if someone wanted some unbiased benchmarks run
on something i have or have access to, i would do it.  that was really
all my original point was.