[Beowulf] bring back 2012?

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:18:45 PDT 2016

oh, indeed the top bin Xeon systems are fast and damn expensive.  Even when
we purchased these AMD systems they were a LOT cheaper than any Intel
system that could come close in specfp rate performance - let alone after 4
years of heavy use.

One issue is that the AMD systems are far more numa, thus requiring tighter
programming.

I was trying to justify tossing the AMD systems and hopefully replacing
them with a smaller number of broadwell based systems.  I guess I was
really surprised to see that a reasonable dual socket (what we would likely
purchase) broadwell system probably wasn't any faster.  Of course, per
socket, they are about 2x thus saving us a lot of space+power, but not the
~10x I was hoping to see.  It has been 4 years...

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at sdm900.com