[Beowulf] strange problem with large file moving between server

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Sep 21 10:17:43 PDT 2014

Hi Alex,

thanks for the feedback.

I still got the original data so that is not a problem right now. What worries
me is even if I restore the data right now can I trust the system?
It is a RAID5 I am using and the discs are new. I have formated the disc space
on Thursday so the file system is new as wll.

What I found on the front end is that in syslog:

mptbase: ioc0: LogInfo(0x11080000): F/W: Outbound DMA Overrun

And I get that a few times. So either the controller on the front end got a
problem which I did not see with the older Infortrend box as it is slower and
hence the controller is less active, or the controller at the Infortrend box
got a problem.

I don't know whether the Infortrend box does scrubbing. I have not activated
something here and I am just using the standart settings.

Regarding ZFS: is that available for Linux now? I lost a bit track here.

All the best from London

Jörg

email: j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
web: http://sassy.formativ.net