[Beowulf] thermal/power limits

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 15:32:36 PDT 2013

I don't think it was "world size", as such, as the number of units that are
within range of hostile units. Imagine simple AI for a stack of cataphracts
in Civ; it considers every possible move, and then what moves the opponent
units within range can make in reaction. Like chess but only a couple ply
deep. In MMOs, you get lag when too many hostile units are within
perception range; they all see you and all your allies, and each computes
the possible reactions of all of them, for all of them. So the call stack
gets big.

Civ I think has always been fine with enough RAM, but you can't have enough
bandwidth if a raid of a hundred players invades a castle with a hundred
liches, all in sight of one courtyard.

That said, it does sound like the problem of cellularized weather
simulation; the pressure and humidity etc at one cell impacts adjacent
cells, but that propogates, so yes, I think the guys who code MPI for that
should make a game with AI for lots of independent mobile units :-)
Peter