[Beowulf] thermal/power limits

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:38:27 PDT 2013

Can anyone on the list comment on the structure of codes like Sid Meier's
"Civilization" or MS "Age of Empires"?  I lost a week or so to each in
school and I recall there was a certain "world size," at which the game
play would completely stall.  I assume because there was an all to all, or
all to most calculation between game elements that suddenly grew larger
than cache.

Strategy games like this don't seem that different than a relaxation-style
solution to a laplace problem.  It would seem natural to write the game to
take advantage of multiple cores.

Is this really how its done?

--
Nathan Moore