[Beowulf] Electricity cost: a critical survival issue of our ICT infrastructures.

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 11 12:14:41 PDT 2013

I like the idea of solar panels to power your cluster.. no energy storage required, just run when the sun shines.  Yes, there is a substantial ecological/waste problem with solar panel manufacture.. so maybe we need to scale up and run solar thermal for our cluster.  You can build a nice 5-10 MW solar thermal plant, and that should run a few thousand nodes quite nicely.  Electricity costs are estimated at around $50-60/MWhr from parabolic trough or power tower designs.

But to address Vincent's concerns about data sources and such:

The data comes from the US Government Energy Information Administration which provides independent statistics and analysis.  It's pretty complete, detailed, and cross referenced with original sources.  The EIA doesn't really have much of an axe to grind: they're more about collecting data, unlike, say, DoE (whose origins as the Atomic Energy Commission always make it slightly suspect for me)

Nuclear power is decreasing in the US because all the nuclear plants are getting old and being decommissioned and there's essentially no new plants coming on line. No new plants started since 1974 and Three Mile Island in 1979 basically put paid to any new starts and led to lots of cancellations.  The other problem was the huge financial overruns on plant construction (WPPS). Unless they're heavily subsidized, it's hard to make money with a nuclear plant, and that doesn't even begin to get into the costs of waste disposal and storage, for which there is no long term solution in the US.  Today, wastes tend to be stored at the point of generation.

We will just wait for fusion power, too cheap to meter, from seawater which is (always) 20 years in the future (and has been since 1950).  (and we'll worry about the radioactively hot waste stream then.. it's not fission products that are the problem.. neutron activation is a big issue)

The big safety issue with nuclear power is the long lasting effects of a unlikely but severe disaster. Unlike a hydro dam break (which has comparable probability and immediate impact), a serious nuclear accident has effects that literally last millennia.   Chernobyl, Fukushima, TMI, etc. all have BIG downstream effects which will last substantially beyond the prompt effects.

Coal usage is not surprising.  There's an enormous coal mining, distribution, and consumption infrastructure (e.g. the big coal fired plant in the southwest which basically on top of a coal mine).  Coal is cheap, particularly for surface mining.  The cost is basically digging it out of the ground and dumping it into rail cars for transportation. And it's found in a lot of places.

However, the remediation costs for emissions and such is becoming prohibitively expensive.  Inevitably, there's "other stuff" along with the carbon in coal, and burning gigatons of it is a good way to extract those substances (Sulfur, Mercury, etc.).  It would be exceedingly expensive to build a brand new coal fired plant and meet emissions rules.  To date, what they do is a succession of "minor modifications" (which can be surprisingly large in scope) to an existing older plant that doesn't have to meet the present rules.

Jim Lux