[Beowulf] Parallella funding goals were met

Tim Mattox tmattox at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:23:46 PDT 2012

Vincent,
Each of the 16 processors on the chip has a single precision floating
point unit,
which includes multiplication.  What it doesn't have is 64-bit floating point.
And they already have samples at 28nm, so get off your high horse and admit
that you got this wrong.  It is a cool project and I look forward to
seeing these
boards next year.

See page 36 of the epiphany_arch_reference_3.12.10.03.pdf found here:
http://www.adapteva.com/support/docs/e3-reference-manual/

Quoted here:
"
7.1.4 Floating-Point Unit
The floating-point unit (FPU) complies with the single precision
floating point IEEE754
standard, executes one floating-point instruction per clock cycle,
supports round-to-nearest even
and round-to-zero rounding modes, and supports floating-point
exception handling. The
operations performed are: addition, subtraction, fused multiply-add,
fused multiply-subtract,
fixed-to-float conversion, absolute, float-to-fixed conversion.
Operands are read from the 64-entry register file and are written back
to the register file at the
end of the operation. No restrictions are placed on register usage.
Regular floating-point
operations such as floating-point multiply/add read two 32-bit
registers and produce a 32-bit
result. A fused multiply-add instruction takes three input operands
and produces a single
accumulated result. A large number of floating-point signal-processing
algorithms use the
multiply-accumulate operations, and for these applications the fused
operations has the potential
of reducing the number clock cycles significantly.
"