[Beowulf] hadoop

Peter Clapham pc7 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 05:21:23 PST 2012

On 27/11/2012 13:14, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Don't post something ridicioulous like that.
>
> That 64MB they use of course as with infiniband shipping a message of
> 64MB wil get you the full bandwidth over the network
> and keep number of messages down and infiniband doesn't work at your
> laptop.

Hello Vincent,
These are tunable parameters.

I think the point the previous poster was making was that he is testing
the water in a small scale on his laptop to become aquainted with the
software layer at this point. VM's are a quick cheap and cheerful hack
that can allow for very rapid proto-typing, even on a laptop, before
going full tilt on bespoke hardware and rolling out increasingly exotic
fabrics and pipelines.

Pete