[Beowulf] XeonPhi notes.

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 14 07:14:49 PST 2012

Seems intel has you in your pocket.

Initially you say it runs x86 code but no performance gets given of
it - whereas already architects admitted it's a weak x86 structure
and is only fast if you rewrite your code completely vectorized -
which gives it no advantage over gpu cards.

Later on you speak about a sample code produced by intel to run by
the chip's architect which shows you 'at a secret location', 1 Tflop.

So when performance is as expected you post it, yet when it's about
scripts and such then you cannot give performance numbers.
I assume becasue it runs *a *lot* slower such codes than at normal
x64 cores...

Basically we learn nothing new here.

You don't buy this chip to get performance similar to normal x64
cpu's which are a lot cheaper than Xeon Phi.

You buy it to get that 1 Tflop. As it seems the only thing so far
that achieved 1 Tflop at it, is something intel cooked themselves.

Also we know some prime number guys already have larrabee, knights
corner and all the *corner cpu's for years now, trying to get
some prime number code at work at it - and we didnt hear any reports
from them either.

Good performance numbers always leaks... ...as good news is good
marketing for intel here of course.

The NDA's are there just in case it doesn't perform as expected - so
let's assume that until proven differently!