[Beowulf] liquid cooling for HPC

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 5 04:38:56 PST 2012

Interesting..
I can't figure out how they are transferring the heat from mobo/components
to the fluid. On the one hand, it looks like they're immersing the board
in a sealed container, but there's also what is identified as "water
channels" (page 2 of the pdf)
http://www.iceotope.com/assets/files/pdfs/module-a4-icm-t1-si2-spec.pdf

 They've got the usual sort of "liquid connector" things which probably
don't leak too much (and you're much better off than in, say, a hydraulic
system where inevitably, there's grit and such that gets stuck in the
valve built into the connector).

Liquids leak, always, but with decent design in the rack, at least the
drips don't go somewhere bad.

Using the "engineered fluids" seems like a typical approach.  Back in the
day, Fluorinert was popular (but expensive).  It looks like they're using
conduction for the heat transfer, as opposed to ebullient/condenser
strategies.  (but if they're using that, why do they reference "water
connectors and water channels"?)

Or do they have the board immersed in a suitable fluid filled box, and
there's a fluid/water heat exchanger built into each little module?  That
makes reasonable sense.  Seal the expensive oil/fluid in the module, use
water (with corrosion inhibiters mixed in) to circulate around.