[Beowulf] liquid cooling for HPC

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 01:50:29 PST 2012

Dear all,

I am sure the subject has been covered a number of times, however, I have been
to the Machine Evaluation Workshop last week here in Liverpool and this
company here
http://www.iceotope.com/
done something which I found rather unusual. Rather then using pipes to cool
the CPUs or dipping the whole node into silicon oil (messy) or water, they are
using a hydrofluoro carbon compound to move the heat from the motherboard to a
chilling plate. There are pros and cons of course. As the whole motherboard is
sealed into the box you cannot change it yourself. It needs to be send back to
them. On the flip side, it appears the the excess heat could be used a bit more
efficiently.
I was wondering whether somebody has some experiences with 'water' cooling in
HPC and would like to share it with me? I am thinking of getting something
like that or similar (no decision has been made right now) for the next server
I am getting. However, as that is new technology to me (the 'water' cooling),
before I venture into that I would like to hear some first hand experiences,
not necessarily with the company/product mentioned above which is only an
example here.

All the best from a wet London

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen