[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Jonathan Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:59:49 PDT 2012

Hey guys I am looking at the admin interface, and it seems like there is a
way to set moderators to recieve emails would that be something we want.

Also on another note something we could setup which would be easier that
anyone can manage would be untangle security distro. It has a web based
interface and all.

Arend is the mailing list on a virtual server or a shared server? If a
virtual server it would be great if we could put together an untangled
virtual machine and all the mods would have a web based interface to manage
various aspects spam filtering included. its debian based and I have seen
it in use and the spam filter works wonders.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Joe Landman <
landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> On 08/24/2012 09:32 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> >
> > I'm one of the moderators on the (moderated) Tesla Coil Mailing List,
> > using Mailman, and Chip Atkinson (list owner) has set up something that
> > silently discards a lot of the spam.  I'd say we get maybe <10% posts
> from
> > non-subscribers coming through along with the rest of the traffic.  Of
> > that 10% maybe half or a third is something not worthy of response.  The
> > rest of the non-subscriber posts, we just bounce with a nice message
> > saying "please subscribe, and your post will go through".
>
> FWIW, I did offer to set up spam filtering for this.  Need to know how
> they process their mail, and we can set up an annotation pipeline
> (complete with Bayesian, heuristic, and other filters).  At the end of
> the process, we have a pretty good score and cutoff for spam vs
> not-spam.  We use that for our filtering.  Since we get a couple
> thousand emails running through the filters a day, we get maybe 3-4
> false positives, and a few false negatives that we correct by hand
> (training the Bayesian network).
>

> --
> Joseph Landman, Ph.D
> Founder and CEO