[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Sat Aug 25 20:15:11 PDT 2012

On 08/24/2012 11:56 PM, graham.mullier at syngenta.com wrote:

> Gentlethings

Hiya,

> While you're noting people who aren't spammers but who are currently
> locked out despite being subscribers, I'm another. I seem never to
> have been flagged as 'OK' so gradually (this is over some years)
> came to regard the list as an interesting thing to watch but not
> something to participate in.

You're now OK'd (as have a couple of other people who've got held up
over this weekend.  Participation is the lifeblood of a mailing list.

> Chris, while it would be helpful for me to be flagged as OK to post
> (for me), what about the several or many others who are stuck in the
> same sort of limbo? Is there a way to identify them, open up the list,
> and breathe a bit more life into it?

The issue is that there are a lot of subscribers to the list, and a lot
of them are from odd looking addresses, so I'd rather set the list to
reject non-subscriber posts and encourage subscribers to post to the list.

That way when the moderation queue is checked all there will be will be
messages from moderated members and (hopefully) they'll be almost
entirely non-spam.  That way we'll be able to clear peoples moderated
flags a lot more quickly (as you'll be easier to spot).

cheers,
Chris