[Beowulf] building Infiniband 4x cluster questions

Greg Keller Greg at Keller.net
Mon Nov 7 12:21:51 PST 2011

> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:16:00 -0500
> From: Prentice Bisbal<prentice at ias.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] building Infiniband 4x cluster questions
>
> Vincent,
>
> Don't forget that between SDR and QDR, there is DDR.  If SDR is too
> slow, and QDR is too expensive, DDR might be just right.
And for DDR a key thing is, when latency matters, "ConnectX" DDR is much
better than the earlier "Infinihost III" DDR cards.  We have 100's of
each and the ConnectX make a large impact for some codes.  Although
nearly antique now, we actually have plans for the ConnectX cards in yet
another round of updated systems.  This is the 3rd Generation system I
have been able to re-use the cards in (Harperton, Nehalem, and now
Single Socket Sandy Bridge), which makes me very happy.  A great
investment that will likely live until PCI-Gen3 slots are the norm.
--
Da Bears?!