[Beowulf] [OT] EMACS vs VI

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Feb 17 08:19:32 PST 2011

shades of editor wars from ...  decades ago ...

e2 and e3 (a programming editor at IBM TJ Watson, never made it out the
door as far as I remember, though OS2 had some build variant of it built
in), was amazing.  Pretty good by todays standards.

If I'm remote, no higher bandwidth link, I'll use vim, pico/nano, or vi.
  If there is a higher bandwidth connection, I've used nedit (wrote a
thesis in an earlier version), and am largely switching to kate .  I
just could never grok emacs.  I could get TeX and LaTeX, and many other
arcane things.  I just couldn't get my mind around emacs.  Or vi for
that matter.  I am ok with it, but after 20+ years using it, I am
*still* dangerous with it.  I am thankful for the undo feature in vim.

kate is the closest thing to a good editor I've used since e2.  e2 just
rocked.  This was 1985-ish or so, and it still was good by todays
standards.  Never made it out the door though.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com