[Beowulf] Grid Engine multi-core thread binding enhancement -pre-alpha release

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:26:57 PDT 2011

For those who had issues with earlier version, please try the latest
loadcheck v4:

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html

I compiled the binary on Oracle Linux, which is compatible with RHEL
5.x, Scientific Linux or Centos 5.x. I tested the binary on the
standard Red Hat kernel, and Oracle enhanced "Unbreakable Enterprise
Kernel", Fedora 13, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Optimizing for AMD's NUMA machine characteristics is on the ToDo list.

Rayson

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Prakashan Korambath <ppk at ats.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hi Rayson,
>
> Do you have a statically linked version? Thanks.
>
> ./loadcheck: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
> ./loadcheck)
>
> Prakashan
>

> On 04/13/2011 09:21 AM, Rayson Ho wrote:
>>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> I notice that you have "lx24-amd64" instead of "lx26-amd64" for the
>> arch string, so I believe you are running the loadcheck from standard
>> Oracle Grid Engine, Sun Grid Engine, or one of the forks instead of
>> the one from the Open Grid Scheduler page.
>>
>> The existing Grid Engine (including the latest Open Grid Scheduler
>> releases: SGE 6.2u5p1&  SGE 6.2u5p2, or Univa's fork) uses PLPA, and
>> it is known to be wrong on magny-cours.
>>
>> (i.e. SGE 6.2u5p1&  SGE 6.2u5p2 from:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/files/ )
>>

>> Chansup on the Grid Engine mailing list (it's the general purpose Grid
>> Engine mailing list for now) tested the version I uploaded last night,
>> and seems to work on a dual-socket magny-cours AMD machine. It prints:
>>
>> m_topology      SCCCCCCCCCCCCSCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
>> However, I am still fixing the processor, core id mapping code:
>>
>> http://gridengine.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/000629.html
>> http://gridengine.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/000628.html
>>
>> I compiled the hwloc enabled loadcheck on kernel 2.6.34&  glibc 2.12,
>> so it may not work on machines running lower kernel or glibc versions,
>> you can download it from:
>>
>> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html
>>
>> Rayson
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Carlos Fernandez Sanchez
>> <carlosf at cesga.es>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the output of a 2 sockets, 12 cores/socket (magny-cours) AMD
>>> system
>>> (and seems to be wrong!):
>>>
>>> arch            lx24-amd64
>>> num_proc        24
>>> m_socket        2
>>> m_core          12
>>> m_topology      SCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTSCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTCTT
>>> load_short      0.29
>>> load_medium     0.13
>>> load_long       0.04
>>> mem_free        26257.382812M