[Beowulf] Grid Engine build machine (was: multi-core thread binding enhancement)

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:12:00 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Distributing Linux application binaries is proven to be a major issue
as a lot of people wanted to test the hwloc loadcheck but their Linux
versions are older than mine. And compiling SGE from source is not
simple neither -- I wrote a quick & dirty guide for those who don't
want the add-ons but it's usually the extra stuff & dependencies that
fail the build. So I would like to offer pre-compiled binaries and
upload them onto sourceforge.

I know it's a complicated question - what version of Linux should I
use to build Grid Engine / Open Grid Scheduler when the binaries are
for others to consume??

(In case you are interested, the quick compile guide is at:
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/CompileGridEngineSource.html )

Prakashan: I tried to link it statically, and I even tried to compile
an older version of glibc on my machine, but I could not get either of
them to work!!

Rayson

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Prakashan Korambath <ppk at ats.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hi Rayson,
>
> Do you have a statically linked version? Thanks.
>
> ./loadcheck: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
> ./loadcheck)
>
> Prakashan
>

> On 04/13/2011 09:21 AM, Rayson Ho wrote:
>>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> I notice that you have "lx24-amd64" instead of "lx26-amd64" for the
>> arch string, so I believe you are running the loadcheck from standard
>> Oracle Grid Engine, Sun Grid Engine, or one of the forks instead of
>> the one from the Open Grid Scheduler page.
>>
>> The existing Grid Engine (including the latest Open Grid Scheduler
>> releases: SGE 6.2u5p1&  SGE 6.2u5p2, or Univa's fork) uses PLPA, and
>> it is known to be wrong on magny-cours.
>>
>> (i.e. SGE 6.2u5p1&  SGE 6.2u5p2 from:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/files/ )
>>

>> Chansup on the Grid Engine mailing list (it's the general purpose Grid
>> Engine mailing list for now) tested the version I uploaded last night,
>> and seems to work on a dual-socket magny-cours AMD machine. It prints:
>>
>> m_topology      SCCCCCCCCCCCCSCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
>> However, I am still fixing the processor, core id mapping code:
>>
>> http://gridengine.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/000629.html
>> http://gridengine.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/000628.html
>>
>> I compiled the hwloc enabled loadcheck on kernel 2.6.34&  glibc 2.12,
>> so it may not work on machines running lower kernel or glibc versions,
>> you can download it from:
>>
>> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html
>>
>> Rayson
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Carlos Fernandez Sanchez
>> <carlosf at cesga.es>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the output of a 2 sockets, 12 cores/socket (magny-cours) AMD
>>> system
>>> (and seems to be wrong!):
>>>
>>> arch            lx24-amd64
>>> num_proc        24
>>> m_socket        2
>>> m_core          12
>>> m_topology      SCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTSCTTCTTCTTCTTCTTCTT
>>> load_short      0.29
>>> load_medium     0.13
>>> load_long       0.04
>>> mem_free        26257.382812M