[Beowulf] Home Beowulf

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 04:36:24 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've run some tests with an i7 920 and OCZ DDR-1600 CAS7 and the
results were very good for bandwidth friendly benchmarks and I
definitely recommend you to stay away from the usual stock memory of
DDR3-1066 at CAS9.
About performance with CFD I have no idea. VASP liked particularly of
the extra bandwidth and yielded an extra 15% performance for RAM that
costed about the same. Other benchmarks may perform betters and others
won't care.
I'm somewhat new to this world but haven't found codes to which
latency matters. Games, as you might find on those websites, are the
main programs that benefit from reduced latency and there's only one
exception to the rule, which are UT3 based games. They heavily benefit
from bandwidth, which tells me they did some serious optimization to
benefit from it, which is the trend industry is taking as of late:
more bandwidth no matter the latency. (at least when it comes to
memory technology only).

Best regards