[Beowulf] Home Beowulf

Dmitry Zaletnev dzaletnev at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 6 10:56:14 PDT 2009

> > On Behalf Of Dmitry Zaletnev
> >
> > I just thinking about a 2-nodes Beowulf for a CFD application that
> > reads/writes small amounts of data in random areas of RAM (non-cached
> > translation). What would be the difference in overall performance (I
> > suppose, due to the memory access time) between Q9650/ 8 GB DDR2-800
> > and i7 920/ 6 GB DDR3-1866.
> you probably mean "DDR3-1066".
Tom, thank you for your answer, here I mean 1866 MHz, OCZ3P1866C7LV6GK kits. I expect their availability must grow up till the end of the winter when I'm going to finalize the construction of my home Beowulf. I'm slightly confused: the test results from the Corsair site tell about significant difference in performance between i7 with 1333 MHz memory and 1866 MHz memory, from other side Tom's hardware forum tells that the only parameter that matters is the latency and there's no difference between a low-latency 1333 MHz memory and 1600 MHz memory. But I'm afraid that chosing 1333 MHz memory now will eliminate the sense of future upgrade to Xeon (motherboard supports it) or Fermi-in-SLI.

Best regards,
Dmitry