[Beowulf] Please help to setup Beowulf

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Feb 17 12:47:53 PST 2009

Hi, to throw in one more:

Am 17.02.2009 um 20:51 schrieb Chris Dagdigian:

> On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Michael Will wrote:
>
>> What features differentiate SGE in support of life science workflow
>> from LSF/PBS/Torque/Condor?

is anyone using IBM's LoadLeveler for Linux and why? I saw that it's
available already some time ago, but I got the impression, that it's
mostly addressing sites which have already LoadLeveler on AIX, and
don't want to introduce a second queuingsystem in their infrastructure.

> They all have their pros and cons, heck I'm still an LSF zealot
> when cost is not an issue as Platform has the best APIs,
> documentation and layered products for the industry types who need
> to stand these things up in full production mode within enterprise
> organizations that may have varying levels of Linux/HPC/MPI
> experience.
>
> The short list of why Grid Engine became popular in the life sciences:
>
> LSF: great product but commercial-only and a pricing model that can
> get out of hand (I remember when having more than 4GB RAM in a
> Linux 1U pushed me into an obscene license tier ...).
>
> Condor: Did not have the fine grained policy and resource
> allocation tools that make life easier when you need to have a
> shared cluster resource supporting multiple competing users,
> groups, projects and workflows. The policy tools for LSF/SGE/PBS
> were more capable.  When I saw condor out in the field seemed to be
> mostly used only in academic sites and in situations where cycles
> from PC systems were being aggregated across LAN, metro and wan-
> scale distances. Bio problems tend to be more I/O or memory bound
> rather than CPU bound so most bio clusters tend to be closely
> situated racks of gear.
>
> PBS/TORQUE: I'll ignore the FUD from back in the day when people
> were claiming that PBS lost jobs and data at high scale and
> concentrate on just one key differentiator. At the time when life
> science was transitioning from big SGI Altix and Tru64 Alphaservers
> machines to commodity compute farms, PBS did not support the
> concept of array jobs. If there was one overwhelming cluster
> resource management feature essential for bio work
> it would be array tasks. This is because we tend to have a very
> high concentration of batch/serial workflows that involve running
> an application many many times in a row with varying input files
> and parameter options. The cliche example in bioinformatics is
> needing to run half a million blast searches. Without array task
> scheduling this would require 500,000 individual job submissions.
> The fact that I never met a serious PBS shop that had not made
> local custom changes to the source code also soured me on deploying
> it when I was putting such things into conservative IT shops who
> were still new and fearful of Linux.

One thing more: AFAIK Torque has no scheduler built-in besides the
FIFO one. You will need MAUI (free) or MOAB (commercial) to get a
scheduler, with the side effect to have to use "qstat" (for Torque)
and "showq" (for MAUI) to investigate the status of the jobs.

-- Reuti