[Beowulf] PERC 5/E problems

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Thu Dec 31 09:02:09 PST 2009

Vlad Manea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PERC 5/E card installed on my frontend (Dell PE 2970) that
> will be
> used to connect a MD1000 from Dell.
> I have a problem: PERC 5/E is not showing in BIOS.  When the server is
> starting up, I cannot
> press Ctrl-R to launch the PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller BIOS
> (the card does not display it's bios boot message saying "hit ctrl-r
> for perc 5...").
>
> I tried a different PCI slot and riser but with no luck.
>
> Is out there anybody that might give a hand fixing this?

I can't remember if the Dell BIOS has this option, but some BIOSs allow
you to clear the PCI bus cache. That will trigger a full rescan of all
the cards that are attached and could get it listed in the boot process
again. If the BIOS doesn't have that option, you could try setting the
BIOS clear jumper.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/