[Beowulf] UPS system for Linux cluster

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 30 09:21:27 PDT 2009

Hi Vlad

A less convenient alternative is to use a few/several smaller
rackmount UPSs, and split the cluster load across them.
They are available in 6-10kVA range from many brands,
single phase input (maybe three-phase also), typically in 3U units.
If you have a site generator, you may not need a lot of battery time,
which is our case here.
The bad news is that rackmount UPSs take a lot of rack space,
and if you need many it may not be cost effective.
We had to (reluctantly) use this solution, which I hope is temporary,
because our site large UPSs were maxed out.

Previous discussions that may be of interest:

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2009-January/024408.html
http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2009-April/025047.html
http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2009-April/024997.html

Gus Correa