[Beowulf] newbie

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Apr 21 21:01:46 PDT 2009

Having read what the license itself says, I tend to agree with the
position asserted below.  However, at the last 3 SC conferences in the
US, I've engaged Intel compiler developers and managers on this.

Caveat: IANAL.  Worse, I don't think anyone from Intel I've talked to
was, either, which could bode ill for us all, if the lawyers DO get
involved.

However, the talking heads from Intel have asserted to me that the
intent was not to stop academic folk from reasonable use.  They were
surprised that the interpretation in the below assertion was made, and
that they didn't interpret it as being that severe.

I will buy a license (I've been saying that for nearly a year) for our
cluster, before instituting it there using the intent expressed to me
verbally, but I suspect that using it for test/evaluation, even if I do
draw a salary, isn't outside their intent.

That said, the academic cost of the compilers is pretty low.  Check with
your advisor and see if (s)he has enough discretionary money to acquire
a 5-seat or even 1-seat version.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983