[Beowulf] software for compatible with a cluster

H.Vidal, Jr. hvidal at tesseract-tech.com
Thu Jul 3 05:43:35 PDT 2008

In my experience with 3D, the renderer is of particular note.
For example, it is entirely possible to model with one piece
of software, export geometry, and render with another piece
of software. And the production team will probably have very
specific ideas of which renderer is what they want, especially
since tools such as RenderMan are themselves programmable, and
cannot just be 'switched' with another rendering tool.

And so, based on your questions, it sounds like you really need
to study, understand, and educate yourself on your proposed product
or service before thinking about batch rendering. You are,
as Americans would say, putting the cart before the horse.

So, as suggested, go study the 'front end' of the problem in much
greater detail, talk to potential customers, understand more
what you are intending to do, then come back and find out about
clusters. The Beowulf mailing list has lots of archived comments
and questions on this topic. That's a hint.....

If you are just acting as a hobbyist or moving along a learning
curve, go look at open source rendering tools. If you are going
to sell services on open source rendering tools, see comments
above. In any case, google and plain reading are your friends....

Good luck.

hv