[Beowulf] Hadoop

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Dec 28 02:13:18 PST 2008

----- "Tim Cutts" <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> I can't speak for Joe's class, but when I've asked Matlab users here
> about using Octave instead, they're generally not interested.  Partly
> this is a somewhat irrational "it doesn't have Matlab on the cover"
> thing, but largely it's the Matlab toolboxes they want access to.

Very similar experiences here, even when it was impossible
for us to get a 3rd party license for MATLAB (i.e. one our
users at the member Universities could use).

Now we've crawled over broken glass to get MATLAB DCS
working for them and we do have some people taking it
up, but it's a pretty hard configuration curve for them. :-(

cheers,
Chris