[Beowulf] using Nagios to monitor compute nodes: NPRE vs check_by_ssh

Alex Younts ayounts at tinkergeek.com
Mon Dec 22 20:23:46 PST 2008

At my employer, we use a variety of monitoring tools for our various
clusters. Our nagios box is a VM with a single processor and 512MB of
memory. Currently, we monitor 1700 hosts, each with three or four
service checks a piece (two of which SSH to nodes to run scripts). We
check services about every 30 minutes.

The load on the central box does get up there are at times, but it is
generally responsive and there's not much additional network load.

We chose SSH based checks because we were already running Ganglia for
statistics monitoring on the nodes and no one wanted to maintain yet
another daemon.. It seemed like the best option for us.

Best of luck with your cluster monitoring!
Alex Younts