[Beowulf] Not quite Walmart, or, living without ECC?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Nov 16 09:58:01 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Peter St. John wrote:

> Of course the additional expense keeps your question interesting for
> now. I would imagine that if something is done to cover **software**
> errors, which are aeternal :-), such as periodic checkpointing, then
> adding memcheck stuff as Tony suggests seems reasonable.
> But I just wanted to poke that ("nt goon") PoV; myself, I defer all
> issues involving miniscule billiard balls rushing along amazingly thin
> pipes, to the "electricians" (as if such a thing as "electricity"
> could exist in the Real World, how absurd).

Interesting words coming from a body that is, when all is said and done,
little more than a big ball of electricity riding around on a
infinitesimal skeleton of tiny massive balls of nuclear force, that are
subsquently being pushed onto a similar arrangement of electricty that
meta-encodes them, interacts with other electrical charges in wavelike
ways, are ultimately absorbed by still more electricity floating around
on its nuclear skeleton, and thereby transform themselves into extremely
peculiar standing waves that echo those words in the meta-structure of
electricity we fondly call "the brain".

What is this Mind of which you do not speak but which speaks You, but
Electricity, given a very transient and very lovely form?

    rgb