[Beowulf] Not quite Walmart, or, living without ECC?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:43:57 PST 2007

David,
I just asked the local NT goon, "do you use ECC for the servers?" and
he answered, "you have to". What he considers a server-class mobo
requires ECC and he added that the tendency is now to FB-DIMM (fully
buffered, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBDIMM). This suggests to me
that next year(s) commodity mobos will be ECC.

Of course the additional expense keeps your question interesting for
now. I would imagine that if something is done to cover **software**
errors, which are aeternal :-), such as periodic checkpointing, then
adding memcheck stuff as Tony suggests seems reasonable.
But I just wanted to poke that ("nt goon") PoV; myself, I defer all
issues involving miniscule billiard balls rushing along amazingly thin
pipes, to the "electricians" (as if such a thing as "electricity"
could exist in the Real World, how absurd).
Peter