[Beowulf] HDTV video file sizes

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 29 10:28:01 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:49:27AM -0700, laytonjb at charter.net wrote:

> Does anyone know who much data 1 hr. of HDTV produces? Let's try 720 for

http://www.dv.com/columns/columns_item.php?articleId=55301757

says

Originally, 1080 was designed as an interlaced format, and its highest frame
rate at present is 60i. As shot by the Sony CineAlta, 1080p is recorded and
displayed using interlaced hardware that uses segmented-frame techniques. To
record slower rates, the tape transport is slowed down; 1080p24 is recorded
as if it were 1080i48, with the pleasant side effect that you can record
about 20 percent longer on the same size tape. The data rate for uncompressed
4:2:2 1080i60 or 1080p30 is about 1.2 Gbps.

The highest frame rate for 720, which is always progressive, is 60 fps:
720p60. Sixty full frames a second provides smooth motion imaging for sports
and allows slow-mo with no vertical bobble from deinterlacing. Slower frame
rates are possible too, like 720p30 and 720p24, (although Panasonic's
variable-frame-rate Varicam simply repeats frames as needed to convert
whatever frame rate it's shooting into a steady 60p for recording on tape or
spitting out as HD-SDI). The data rate for uncompressed 4:2:2 720p60 is also
about 1.2 Gbps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Production standards

A new high-definition progressive scan format for picture creation is
currently being developed to operate at 1080p at 50 or 60 frames per
second.[2][3] This format will require a whole new range of studio equipment
including cameras, storage, edit and contribution links as it has doubled the
data rate of current 50 or 60 field interlace 1920 × 1080 from 1.485 Gb/s to
nominally 3 Gb/s. It is unable to be broadcast in a compressed transmission
to current MPEG-2 based HD receivers. This format will improve final pictures
because of the benefits of "oversampling" and removal of interlace artifacts.

> now and perhaps 1080. I'm looking for the file size if you store the whole
thing > in a single file.

You were thinking about using a cluster for rendering or transcoding, right?