[Beowulf] The recently solved Lie Group problem E8

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:42:31 PDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Michael Hannon <jmh at physics.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Peter St. John wrote:
> .
> > I wish I know more about the SAGE (machine) that hosts the SAGE
> > (software) that was used for this

See the appended blurb from one of our sales guys.

>                                        - Mike
>
> I thought you might find this interesting. The 8-way opteron system is a
> Western Scientific FusionA8 with 64GB RAM.  It ran some high profile
> calculations, which have appeared in the national news today ("Sage
> Supercomputer" refers to the machine):

Thanks Mike. I drilled down and the datasheet is
http://www.wsm.com/datasheets/fusiona8_ds_030507.pdf
Seems like some nice mission-criticality characteristics, e.g. the redundant
power supplies built into the case, but if it were me, nutty mathematicians
doing something nutty, would I prefer a large number of disposalble nodes?
Not that they need to go faster than 3 days (compared to 4 years of design)
but they could futz around with it throughout the four years for cheap. But
I'm preaching to the Choir?
Peter